'During the night advance parties of two for each city were chosen to move ahead on a connecting train the following morning, while the force visited Toronto. Frank had visited these cities just two years before. So far as we knew, he had no expectation of returning in the foreseeable future. As soon as it was clear which two would go to each city, he began dictating letters of introduction to relays of secretaries on through the night, so that the young men would quickly find their way in each city.

'I have never experienced anything like that night's dictation - each letter a personal one to every major hotel owner and every newspaper editor in those cities, and to other leading men. With no notes or diary, Frank dictated from memory, with name and correct spelling, greetings to wives and often to children with their names, letters brimful of news, of what had happened and what was going to happen, with warmth and spontaneity as though he had seen them a week or two before. By morning all was clear. Fourteen men carried on to seven cities, and prepared the way for the big team that followed shortly afterwards, while Frank in full vigour led the rest into the United States.'

This move took the form of a brief visit to New York and Washington, followed by two days at Allentown. 'Fortunately Buchman has not been a prophet without honour in his own country,' wrote the Allentown Call. 'Allentown is going to welcome him not only for himself, but for the message he is bringing to millions of people.'15

Back in Canada again, Buchman and his team were received by the Premier in each province, Prime Minister Bennett spending five hours with them in Ottawa. In Vancouver they found that one of the worst shipping strikes in North America up to that time was paralysing the Pacific Coast ports from San Francisco to Alaska. Parts of Alaska had already been put on rations. If the strike continued, the year's salmon run - on which the canning industry depended - would be lost. By the time of the Group's arrival complete deadlock had been reached.

Mainly through the intervention of two of Buchman's team - George Light, the Warwickshire Socialist, and Walter Horne, a Californian ship-builder - a fair settlement was reached. It took them seventy-two hours of continuous effort, moving between the men, who had long-standing and justified grievances, the strike committee, union leaders and employers. The resolution was reported at a business men's lunch in Toronto by the salmon-canner from Vancouver, Richard Bell Irving.16 'This was accomplished by the application of Christ's principles as advocated by the Group to the problems of both owners and strikers,' he said. 'My company was very seriously affected by the strike and I therefore know whereof I speak.'17 The Ottawa Evening Citizen commented, 'When Christianity is put into practice it is spiritual dynamite. There is no greater force for enduring reform known to mankind.'18